Source: The Annual Cyclopædia
Source type: book
Document type: article
Document title: “Exposition, The Pan-American”
Publisher: D. Appleton and Company
Place of publication: New York, New York
Year of publication: 1902
Pagination: 213-20 (excerpt below includes only page 216)
|“Exposition, The Pan-American.” The Annual Cyclopædia. New York: D. Appleton, 1902: pp. 213-20.|
|Temple of Music.|
|James N. Adam; Isidore Konti.|
From title page: The Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1901: Embracing Political, Military, and Ecclesiastical Affairs; Public Documents; Biography, Statistics, Commerce, Finance, Literature, Science, Agriculture, and Mechanical Industry.
The truncated title for this book (see citation above) is being used since this work was published anew each year, each time with its full title including a different year.
Exposition, The Pan-American [excerpt]
Temple of Music.—This structure, designed by Esenwein & Johnson, was at the northeast juncture of the Esplanade and the Court of Fountains, and south of the Machinery and Transportation Building, from which it was separated by the Court of Lilies. It was octagonal, and occupied a site 150 feet square. It was surmounted by a dome 180 feet high, suggestive in proportions of the dome of the Pantheon at Rome. In treatment the building was highly ornate, and it was profusely decorated with pilasters sculptured in relief, and over each of the four pediments was a sculptured group by Konti. The auditorium of the building had seating accommodations for 2,200 persons, and contained one of the largest organs ever made in the United States, built by Emmons Howard & Son. This was presented to the city of Buffalo at the close of the exposition by James N. Adam.