Publication information

Source:
Granite, Marble and Bronze
Source type: journal
Document type: article
Document title: “The McKinley Monument, Buffalo, N. Y.”
Author(s): anonymous
Date of publication: 1 November 1907
Volume number: 17
Issue number: 11
Pagination: 18

 
Citation
“The McKinley Monument, Buffalo, N. Y.” Granite, Marble and Bronze 1 Nov. 1907 v17n11: p. 18.
 
Transcription
full text
 
Keywords
McKinley memorial (Buffalo, NY).
 
Named persons
A. Phimister Proctor [middle name misspelled below].
 
Notes
The article is accompanied on the same page by a photograph of the monument.
 
Document


The McKinley Monument, Buffalo, N. Y.

     We illustrate the McKinley monument, recently erected and dedicated at Buffalo, N. Y. The base is about 98 feet in diameter, and the monument stands about 98 feet high, cost about $115,000. The entire work, including the carving, was done at the plant of George W. Maltby & Sons, Buffalo, N. Y. The marble was quarried at West and Centre Rutland, Vt., from quarries owned by the Vermont Marble Company. The blocks from which the lions were carved weighed about twenty-five tons each, but about five tons of the rough was taken off before they were lifted from the quarry. The sculptor who made the models, and who had charge of the carving of the lions, was A. Phimester Proctor, Bedford, N. Y. The completed lions, of which there are four, one at each corner of the monument, measure about 11 feet 4 inches long, 4 feet 6 inches wide, and 4 feet 10 inches high.