Publication information

Atlanta Constitution
Source type: newspaper
Document type: article
Document title: “Editor Nearly Lynched for Attacking M’Kinley”
Author(s): anonymous
City of publication: Atlanta, Georgia
Date of publication: 15 September 1901
Volume number: 34
Issue number: none
Part/Section: 1
Pagination: 3

“Editor Nearly Lynched for Attacking M’Kinley.” Atlanta Constitution 15 Sept. 1901 v34: part 1, p. 3.
full text
Clarence M. Jones; William McKinley (detractors); lawlessness (mob rule: Columbus, OH).
Named persons
Clarence M. Jones; William P. Tyler.

Editor Nearly Lynched for Attacking M’Kinley

     Columbus, Ohio, September 14.—Clarence M. Jones, proprietor of the Press-Post, was rescued from a mob of several thousand people this evening by the police and a squad of police is now guarding the building in which the printing plant is located.
     Today’s editions of the paper contained both editorial and headlines referring to the dead president in a manner offensive to a grief-stricken people, and popular indignation was soon manifested by the gathering of an excited crowd in front of the Press-Post office. Threats were made, but no overt act was committed until the carriers started with their bundles of papers for delivery to subscribers.
     The crowd made a rush for the first boy who appeared, seized his papers and made a bonfire of them in the street. This was kept up until there were no more papers to burn, and then the crowd, which had grown to large proportions, became demonstrative, threatening to wreck the plant and mob the proprietor. All the employees had quit their places, but Mr. Jones remained in the building, and, fearing to leave alone, telephones for the police.
     Chief Tyler soon arrived with a squad of men. He addressed the crowd, counselling moderation and appealing to them to disperse. His speech had a quieting effect, and a few minutes later Mr. Jones, surrounded by half a dozen officers, emerged from the building, entered a hack and was driven away amid the jeers of the crowd. The crowd dwindled somewhat, but did not disperse, and again became demonstrative. The police were powerless and stood looking on while the crowd procured a ladder and took down a large sign from the front of the building and carried it out into the street. The sign was quickly reduced to kindling and another bonfire was started.
     More police were summoned and ropes were stretched around the building to keep back the crowd. Later a drizzling shower fell, and most of the crowd sought shelter. A young man who tried to defend the Press-Post utterances was set upon and beaten badly.