Publication information
view printer-friendly version
Source: Chicago Daily Tribune
Source type: newspaper
Document type: article
Document title: “Dies to Follow M’Kinley”
Author(s): anonymous
City of publication: Chicago, Illinois
Date of publication:
19 September 1901
Volume number: 60
Issue number: 262
Part/Section: 1
Pagination: 5

“Dies to Follow M’Kinley.” Chicago Daily Tribune 19 Sept. 1901 v60n262: part 1, p. 5.
E. H. Paramore; McKinley assassination (related tragedies).
Named persons
P. J. Geoghan; L. D. Mahon; William McKinley; E. H. Paramore; Harry Rolston.


Dies to Follow M’Kinley [excerpt]


Man Despondent from Lack of Employment Discusses Murder of President and
Regrets Inability to Harm the Slayer—Then Steps into a Wine-Room in Medinah
Buffet and Shoots Himself—Religious Insanity Leads to Attempt by a Girl.

     While talking with two friends about the death of President McKinley and lamenting that he could not get at the assassin to do him harm, E. H. Paramore of 8843 Indiana avenue suddenly stepped to one side in the Medinah Temple buffet yesterday and fired a bullet into his own brain. He died while being taken to the County Hospital.
     Paramore, until three months ago, was a clerk in the car-tracing department of the Michigan Central railroad. Since then he had been out of work, and this, coupled with his grief over the President’s death, are supposed to have inspired the act. He was 53 years old.
     He had entered the saloon a few minutes earlier with two friends, P. J. Geoghan of 2642 Cottage Grove avenue, and L. D. Mahon, 4 Warren avenue. All three were talking of the crêpe which adorned the buildings across the street. Then they began discussing the death of the President and the assassin. Paramore seemed much depressed, and showed what his friends considered an almost morbid grief. They tried to cheer him up.
     “Come, have another drink,” one of them said to Paramore.
     Instead of answering, Paramore stepped through the swinging door into the wine-room at the rear, and, before any one in the room could prevent, pulled a revolver from his pocket, pointed it at his head, and fired. His two friends rushed to his aid, but it was too late. He was unconscious when placed in the ambulance by the Central Detail police, and died shortly after. The body was taken to Rolston’s undertaking rooms at 22 Adams street.
     Paramore was married and lived with his wife and four children, the youngest 15 years old. He had lived in Chicago for nine years and was at one time, it is said, a Deputy United States Marshal. Three years ago he became an employé of the Michigan Central railroad, but lost his place a short time ago. A few days ago he made an attempt to kill himself while at his home, but he was prevented.



top of page